Volleyball honors seniors, can’t stay with Tommies, Scots

<ast Saturday the Carleton Volleyball team paused before their home match against St. Thomas to congratulate the four senior members of the team: Beth Jarrett, Maddy Lenhard, Kelly Lovett, and Kyla Walter.

Over the past four seasons, these four players have been central to the Knights’ success. Jarrett, a co-captain, has been the team’s starting setter since her sophomore year, has led the team in assists since the 2008 season and is currently ranked fifth in the MIAC. Lenhard is the Knights go-to server in tough situations and was named most inspirational team player during the 2008 season. Lovett, a ferocious hitter, is ranked fifth in the MIAC in total blocks this season. Walter, also a 2010 co-captain, is a consistent offensive presence on the court, boasting a .190 attack percentage this year.

After a bittersweet recognition of the seniors by head coach Heidi Jaynes, the Knights came out strong against national-No. 13 St. Thomas. This was the Knights last home game of the 2010 season and the stands in Cowling Gymnasium were packed in anticipation. Despite the Tommies’ impressive record and nationally ranked setter, the Knights swift and well-placed kills and quick defense led them to a decisive win in the first set, 25-21.

In the second set however, the mood changed quickly as the Tommies regained their confidence. The Tommies won 10 straight points before the Knights were able to score. The Knights were, again, unable to stop the Tommies in the third, losing 25-15. In the fourth and final set of the match, the Knights challenged the St. Thomas squad again. Carleton came within one point of the Tommies at 11-10, but soon after St. Thomas pulled ahead to take the match 3-1 (25-21, 7-25, 15-25, 17-25). Despite the loss to a strong offensive team, Sarah Nielsen ’13 posted a career-high 10 kills over the course of the match.

The Knights took on Macalaster Wednesday night in St. Paul where they struggled to find their rhythm, quickly losing the first two sets 16-25 and 18-25.  In the third set, they came out in force and took the first six points of the game thanks to consistent play from Chloe Nelson ’14, fourth in the MIAC in service aces, and veteran hitters Walter and Jessa Youso ‘13.  The Scots fought back to match point at 24-23, but after a service error and crucial kill by Youso, the Knights were back on top. Following suit, however, the Scots pulled off two kills and a service ace to clinch the match 3-0 (25-16, 25-18, 27-25).
After a long week, the team takes on St Olaf (9-1 MIAC) tomorrow at 3 p.m. Join the Knights as they play their last match of the regular season at Olaf’s Skoglund Center, home court for several matches of the Knights’ 2010 season.