Volleyball wins two at Hamline Triangular, falls on road to Concordia

<roved trying for the Knights, as the team won both of its games at the Hamline Triangular last Friday but lost in straight sets to the College of St. Benedict on Wednesday.

Carleton started strong at the Hamline Triangular in St. Paul on Friday evening, winning their first match against the Buena Vista College Beavers in three quick sets (25-14, 26-24, 25-17).

The Knights dominated in the first, but were challenged by the Beavers in the second. It was six key service aces delivered by Chloe Nelson ’14, Erin Anderson ’13, Ellie Schmidt ’14 and finally Maddy Lenhard ’11, which tipped the scales in the Knights’ favor. The third set saw a confident Carleton offense led by senior trio Kelly Lovett, Beth Jarrett and Kyla Walter, assert itself with impressive kills. On top of her career-high eight kills, Jarrett supported the team with 33 assists.

Although the Knights were again victorious in the second game on Friday against hosts Hamline University, the Pipers tested Carleton by forcing them into five sets before securing a win (25-14, 20-25, 18-25, 25-21, 15-8).

Despite a quick win in the first set, the Knights cooled down in the second and third, faltering against Hamline’s offense. An uncharacteristic combination of service and attack errors during the middle set revealed the Knight’s fatigue. However, they regained their footing in the fourth, only to persevere through five sets to clinch their second match of the evening. Lovett posted 14 kills and Jessa Youso ’12, Sarah Nielson ’12 and Walter each had 12, nine and nine respectively.

After a successful night on the road, the team returned home to Cowling Gym on Saturday for their 12th annual alumni match. Fifteen alumni and over 40 parents attended the game and celebratory brunch that followed.

Wednesday, the nights were back on the road playing the College of St. Benedict in St. Joseph. Though the Knights fell in three to the Blazers (21-25, 20-25, 28-30), they started out leading two of three close sets. The score was tied a whopping 15 times during the third and final set, but the Knights could not break the Blazer offense, led by Kayli Schumacher who celebrated her 1,000th career kill during the game.

Lovett and Anderson each had 12 digs and Lovett and Youso delivered 12 and ten kills, respectively, but it wasn’t enough to carry the Knights to victory.

Tonight the Knights make the long trip to Moorhead to take on No. 20 Concordia College. The Knights are currently 9-9 overall and 1-4 in the MIAC. The team, and their fans look forward to the upcoming series of home games beginning this coming Wednesday when Carleton hosts Augsburg College at 7 p.m. Stay tuned to Knights Online for location information regarding these games, as the Knights hope to return to West Gym following the floodng of the Cannon River which damaged it and other athletic facilities.