Oden delivers annual Honors Day Convocation address

<lans to retire at the end of this academic year, Robert A. Oden Jr., the tenth president of Carleton College, will preside over his final Honors Day Convocation on Friday, May 28 at 3 p.m. in the Skinner Memorial Chapel. An esteemed professor of religion, Oden will deliver a keynote address entitled “Listening to Ancient Voices.” Honors Day is a celebrated annual tradition at Carleton. Taking place on the last Friday of spring term, the event formally acknowledges the achievements and service to the community made by students and faculty in the past academic year. The Honors Day Convocation is free and open to the public.

Robert A. Oden Jr. has been president of Carleton College since 2002. Oden’s leadership has transformed Carleton on many fronts. The College is in the final stages of its Breaking Barriers, Creating Connections capital campaign, Carleton’s ambitious $300 million fund-raising campaign which currently stands at $287.5 million due to the extraordinary support of trustees, alumni, parents and friends—and the College is poised to successfully meet its campaign goal in 2010.

Oden’s other notable accomplishments during his tenure include leading the faculty in the College’s first systematic curriculum review in nearly 50 years to develop a liberal arts curriculum accenting creativity and inventiveness. Tied to that initiative is the Arts Union project, which through both its physical structure and its programming will shape Carleton as a leader in interdisciplinary teaching and learning in the arts and beyond.

– Courtesy of Media Relations