Student bands win performance time at Battle of Bands

<ent bands Groove Factory and Menagerie took top prizes at last Friday's Battle of the Bands, earning performance slots at this year's spring concert. The almost four hour event maintained a packed dance floor at Northfield's Grand Theater.

The Battle of the Bands was a musical extravaganza presented by student bands of Carleton, giving many musicians and artists a creative avenue to perform with other bands in a huge concert. The bands varied in genres of music, spanning from cover music, to R&B, to classic and alternative rock.  The diverse lineup consisted of Hope and Heist, Owen Demke, The Foreverills, Charlie and the Brontosaur, Groove Factory, Menagerie, Noise Cinema, Porch Collective, To Be Announced, JaMAIN Event and the Babymakers.

Each band was given 20 minutes to perform. After the final act left the stage, a panel of judges was left to deliberate and reveal a consensus winner. The top two bands will perform at Spring Concert. The judging panel consisted of Frenchy Jacobs, Dining Services Staff at the Languages and Dining Center (LDC), Dylan Frazao ’10 and Max Kritzer ’13, and Jack Frechette. Menagerie, comprising of guitarists Andy Rooks ’10 and Will Tynan ’11, bassist Dan Curme ’10 and drummer David Tullis ’12, obtained second place in the battle.

“Everyone played really well as usual and I was really impressed by everyone who participated. Out of all the 4 years that I’ve played, I think this one was definitely the closest” Rooks said, describing his experience.

The first place was awarded to Groove Factory comprising of David Kornfield ’11 at the keyboard, guitarists Jonathan Walsh ’12 and Andrew McClung ‘10, bassist Callie Millington ’12, and drummers David Tullis ’12 and Ian Merkel ’10. The band experimented with a range of musical instruments such as organ, keytar and the electric mandolin.

“Our music is a mix of rehearsed sections and freely improvised passages, where either one musician solos while others accompany on a groove, or everyone improvises a feel by listening and building on what each other is doing,” Kornfield said describing the band’s music.

Like a real battle, the event was able to infuse a lot of energy in its participants and viewers, and each performance throughout the event was met with dancing and applause.