Caught in the ACT: Habitat for Humanity

<nt to experience something unforgettable, learn new skills, meet new friends and make a difference? Apply for a Habitat for Humanity Spring Break Away Trip!

Habitat for Humanity is a nonprofit housing organization which builds houses for families in need and works to eradicate poverty housing and homelessness. Since their foundation in 1976, Habitat has built homes for over 1.5 million people around the world.

Every year, Carleton students participate on Habitat for Humanity trips during Spring Break. This year’s trips will be to Waterloo, (IA) Eagle Butte, (SD) and Fort Smith, (AK).

Morgan Holmes, the ACT Student Coordinator for Social, Economic and Gender Justice Programs, describes her experiences with Habitat, “I’ve really enjoyed my experience volunteering for Habitat for Humanity because the results are so tangible. Nothing compares to watching a house being built over the course of a week and knowing that it was the product of your own hands. Or better, to meet the family that is going to live in that house and know that what you’re doing makes a real difference in their lives. Habitat is great way to learn about housing issues while at the same time doing something about it.”

Sonya Krishnan ’10, one of the Program Directors of Habitat for Humanity, also had a rewarding experience, “Habitat provides an excellent opportunity to go out and make a difference during spring break. You can learn skills such as installing dry wall or roofing and get to explore a new state in the US. Also, by spending two weeks with a small group of Carls, you make new connections and friendships, many of which I still maintain today!”

If you’re interested in getting involved, look out for the participant interest meeting Winter Term on January 12. Although there is a participant fee for the trips, between 150-175 dollars of financial aid is available, so cost should not be a deterrent. You can contact the Program Directors, Sonya Krishnan ’10, Shannon Mueller ’12 and Emily Kelly ’11, with more questions.

Applications for site-leaders are still being accepted, but get them in soon! Site-leaders play an integral part of the trip, helping organize and coordinate the trip. Site-leaders will go through training in January and meet with their groups before the Spring Break Away Send Off on March 15.

According to Fernie Rodriguez, the Hall Director Collateral to the ACT Center, “EVERYONE is encouraged to apply!!!” Applications are available on the ACT website.