Carleton to hold bricklaying ceremony to celebrate gift of Residence Halls

<rleton will hold a ceremonial bricklaying in honor of the completion of the initial phase of construction for Cassat Hall and Memorial Hall, the college’s two new residence halls, on Saturday, Oct. 25 at 8:45 a.m.

The ceremony will celebrate the significant gift made by George L. ’46 the late Patricia D. ’46 Cassat, which has helped support the construction of the two new buildings. Cassat Hall, named in honor of Mr. and Mrs. Cassat, will stand as a testimony to their historic commitment to provide Carleton students with abundant opportunities to live independently and as part of a dynamic community. Memorial Hall is named to honor Carleton men and women who have perished while in military service to the United States, and will serve as a bold reminder that the freedoms enjoyed by current Carleton students were ensured by the sacrifice of our nation’s servicemen and women.

The event will take place on the construction site of the new buildings, located on First Street between Nevada and Maple Streets on the southeast part of the College campus. Parking is available at the music and drama center and Cowling Gymnasium.

The construction of Cassat Hall and Memorial Hall commenced on May 12, 2008, culminating a comprehensive and multi-year planning effort for Carleton’s long-term residential life and housing needs.