This Week at SUMO

<u Don’t Mess With the Zohan:

If you think other Adam Sandler movies are funny, you’ll love You Don’t Mess With the Zohan— if you can understand the punch lines through fake Israeli accents. The Zohan’s speech is comprised of Sandler impersonating a stereotypical Jew from New York, impersonating a stereotypical Parisian. Regardless, with Sandler and Judd Apatow as writers the movie can’t help but have some pretty solid jokes.

Zohan starts out ridiculous and becomes completely over the top, but in the best way. From the beginning of the film we know that the Zohan has a hearty appreciation for hummus, but who knew he could use it to style hair and brush his teeth? And one would assume an Israeli agent could dodge a punch but only the Zohan can catch a bullet up his nose, or volley a grenade like a ping-pong champion. Only Zohan would have the balls to leave the fighting in the Middle East for America, to fulfill his dream of becoming a hair stylist.

Sandler’s usual comedic pace is a little off in Zohan (probably because he’s trying to remember more Yiddish words that sound dirty). The recurring jokes do get old, though not before making you laugh really hard for a while. The Israeli, disco-fabulous music compliments the film perfectly and layers on more laughs. The end, like other Adam Sandler movies is totally contrived; it’s where the story falls apart (as if it hadn’t already).

Don’t go see this movie if you don’t like Sandler’s sense of humor or if you’re easily offended. Zohan is silly and stupid. Go and watch this Friday or Saturday night before you go out, and tipsy or not you’ll leave SUMO in stitches and quoting lines— if you can figure what the Zohan has said.

Batman:

Batman (the one from 1989) is a decent action movie, but it’s not our Batman. I think we’ve been spoiled. I tried really hard not to compare the earlier Batman story with Batman Begins, and the Dark Knight—it’s not fair to compare Tim Burton’s project to Christopher Nolan’s and CGI’s team effort, right? I give up. With Christian Bale stuck in my head, my introduction to Bruce Wayne/ Batman/ Michael Keaton just didn’t feel right. I’m not just biased because Chris Nolan’s films are the newer, flashier, Batman 5.0. The writing is bad, and the actors don’t help. (A notable exception is Alfred, who is fantastic).

Jack Nicholson carries the movie as the Joker, and Batman is worth watching just to see Nicholson play around with the role. If I wasn’t so creeped out by Jack Nicholson in general, maybe his antics would have made me love the movie. In Burton’s film we learn how Jack Napier becomes the Joker, and Nicholson morphs into the Joker with style (green hair, white face, purple suit.) His henchmen sport mullets, sideburns and, yes, handlebar mustaches. Nicholson can only take the movie so far as a supporting actor, though, and anyway, I think Heath did it better.

The movie’s action and drama are backed by a cheeseball score. And the Joker’s escapades are punctuated by…Prince? Where did Prince come from? And why is Jack Nicholson dancing like that?

I will say this, however, the movie picks up through the second half. Joker’s evil plots aren’t nearly as awesomely orchestrated as in The Dark Knight, but an action movie is an action movie. And Burton has created here a fantastic, eery world. Go and see this movie if you’re craving more stories from Gotham city and can’t wait until the next Nolan film comes out. P.S. I hear from the rumor mill that the new villain will be Johnny Depp.